Will a Business degree program give you the educational background and skills you need to achieve your career goals? If you are in the process of applying for admission to a college or university, one of the first things you need to do is identify your career goals. Only after you know what you want to do should you select a degree program. If you have a general idea of what you would like to do with your life, you may want to pursue a general degree that will prepare you to enter a specific sector or industry. Undergraduate and graduate business degree programs include curriculum that will prepare you for a wide variety of different careers in marketing, human resources, sales, and various other departments. See if a business degree is going to prepare you to enter the career of your dreams and spend your time in school wisely.
What Type of Curriculum Will a Degree in Business Administration Include?
A Bachelor of Business Administration is a general business program that will cover different subjects to prepare undergraduate students for entry-level positions. While the coursework that must be completed will vary from program to program, most schools of business set similar core curriculum and degree requirements for business students to earn their Bachelor’s degree. Some of the classes that students must complete include:
* Principles of Accounting
* Business Law
* Business Communications
* Macroeconomics and microeconomics
* Business Finance
* Information Systems
* College Algebra
* Professional Development
* Management Strategies
* Principles of Marketing
* Consumer Behavior
* Human Resources and Law
While these are not all of the courses you must complete to meet the credit and curriculum requirements, this is a very generic example of the topics that will be covered when you enroll in a Business Administration program. You may have to take more specific courses in different areas of business if you plan on earning a graduate’s degree in an area of specialization like Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Economics and more.
What Careers Will a General Business Degree Prepare You For?
One of the greatest things about a General Business degree is the fact that you can pursue jobs in multiple sectors with a single degree. You will learn everything from how to communicate as a professional, to how to set a business budget and stay within budget, so you will be able to have a successful business career in the area where you are most skilled. Here are some of the most popular career choices of undergrads with a Business Degree and the average salary for each career choice:
* Accountancy: You will be able to qualify for an entry-level accounting position as soon as you earn your degree. The average salary reported for an accountant working in the private sector is $53,300.
* Underwriting: If you want to work in the insurance industry, your degree will prepare you to become an Agency Underwriter to underwrite insurance applications to assess risk and rate premiums. The average salary for an underwriter is $55,000 per year.
* Event Manager: Coordinate special events for corporations or non-profit organizations. Average salary for entry-level event managers is about $47,000.
* Human Resource Manager: Oversee a company’s HR department, review resumes, conduct interviews and qualify candidates. This rewarding career will earn you a living of about $74,000 per year.
You can work in hospitality, finance, retail, HR, and various other sectors with a Business degree. Think about what you want to do, the environment you would like to work in, and what degree will make all of this happen, and get ready to go to school.