Share this infographic on your site!
Embed this infographic on your site!
The Business of Sports
We all know that sports are fun to play and fun to watch, and you'd have to
be living under a rock to not be aware of the high figures sports stars earn each year, but what's
going on behind the scenes? How much money is the sporting industry really worth? At Top Business Degrees we decided to look behind all
the fun and games and discovered an affluent business with no end in sight.
The Big 4 leagues in America combined (the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB) accrue an average
$23 billion in revenue each year.
Over 27.8 billion per year gets spent on sports advertising.
- $9 billion in annual revenue
- $1 billion in operating income
- Average team value: $1 billion
- $7.2 billion in annual revenue
- $494 million in operating income
- Average team value: $523 million
- $4.1 billion in annual revenue
- $183 million in operating income
- Average team value: $369 million
- $3 billion in annual revenue
- $160 million in operating income
- Average team value: $228 million
- NCAA: $757 million in revenue
- NASCAR: $645.4 million annual revenue
- Other Spectator Sports (Horse Racing, Golf, etc.: $31.4 billion
Facts about Sports and the Economy
- There are over 3 million sports industry jobs in the US
- There are 12,660 professional US athletes
- 184,280 coaches and scouts
- 15,250 umpires, referees and officials
- 484,200 Americans work in fitness centers
- 36,600 employees at ski resorts
- 68,000 employees at bowling allies
- 340,500 employees at golf courses
- 1.5 million Americans work in amusement, gambling and recreation sectors
- 44,1000 work in wholesale trade of sporting goods
- 235,300 work in retail sporting goods stor